Wednesday 30 October 2013

Side by Side


A premiere at home…with my producer by my side.

Let's admit it, if your film is in the festival, all events leading up to it are somehow compressed in time.  I don't know why that happens but the mind works in wondrous ways.  So it was for me and Talus & Scree, my most recent writer/director project.

Friday at the SJIWFF24 started for me with the Writing Room forum hosted by Krissy Holmes and featuring guests Tassie Cameron and my good friend Sherry White, two of the main writers on Rookie Blue for the past 5 seasons.  It was a really informative 2 hour session delivered to, once again, a packed room.  We were treated to insider tips, practical advice, and experienced voices of women writers in Canadian television.  They wrapped up leaving just enough time to get home and change before my 7 pm screening.  Knowing that it was sold out several days before did nothing to easy my qualms but knowing that Krysta Rudofsky, my incredible producer and “sista from another mista”, would be on stage did comfort me.  

Photo: Andrea Edwards.  L-R  Krysta, Ruth.  See how happy I am to have her there? She's a gem and a very smart woman.

It was the first time I’d spoken to her since before the screening in Halifax at AFF.  We’d been texting an emailing but unfortunately, Krysta had undergone jaw surgery in Halifax the same week of our world premiere.  It was a huge relief (to me) to final speak to her and have her with me for this hometown screening.  It was a huge pain (literally) for her to talk but she persevered (an ongoing theme for her last 6 months) through the evening with grace.

It’s an emotional film for both of us and I couldn’t have imagined a better person to guide it through all of its myriad challenges, from shooting on a cliff with three children under 12 to completing the film (entirely) in under 3 months.  When I think of how it all came together, I’m still amazed.  The talents we assembled were all perfect for the project and without exception, each and every one gave us their best effort.  Together, the whole mix of talents in Talus & Scree is a rare example of how the elements can blend smoothly to create a moving picture.

Photo: Brad Gover.  L-R Emily Dawe holding Tegan McDonald in Talus & Scree (A Lucky Film)
For me, I was especially honoured to have my family (most of whom inspired the film) and so many of the cast and crew in attendance.  It turned out to be an inspired program of excellent shorts, including the latest from wonderchild  Stephen Dunn (he’s just 24 and has collected more hardware than Meryl Streep) showing one of the best CFC films I’ve ever seen in We Wanted More.   


Photo by my sister, Hazel Hickey.  Me & Stephen Dunn, relieved.

Another film, Fetch by Gwyneth Baillie, was dedicated to my dearly departed friend and George Brown Theatre school grad Patrick Conner.  In fact, almost every film was one I’ll remember for a long time.  After the warmest sustained response I’ve ever witnessed, we left the screening to get feedback from this amazing crowd, grab a bite to eat, then party at Pope Productions well into the night.  Once again, a good day in this life. A great festival in this place. 

On Saturday,  I celebrated Latonia Hartery's premiere of Wind Money in the afternoon, and a sold out screening of Rosemary House/Justin Simms' Hold Fast (with my sweetie as the lovable, young grandfather) to bring the week to a close.  Happy 24, SJIWFF!  Many thanks.

Yummy vegan cupcakes by TulipBaroo at the closing reception after Hold Fast (Writer/Producer Rosemary House)

No comments:

Post a Comment