Tuesday 29 October 2013

From AFF to SJIWFF


From AFF to SJIWFF

In Halifax on September 15, I woke up with butterflies!  Lots of them, fluttering all over my insides.  I put a few final touches on my grant application and headed out to meet my two young actresses for lunch before the screening.  At Pete’s Frootique, 7 of us- daughters, mothers and grandmothers- gathered with our pre-show jitters.
Then it was off to get a couple of promo photos before heading back into the dark. 

We had a full row of Newfoundlanders who flew up for the screening or drove down from the Valley.  Our screening went really well and people I knew and didn’t know came up to speak to us so that was much appreciated.  The girls and their families were very happy.  Before I left Halifax, I taped an interview for the AFF Presents: CBC Download and it was uplifting to see that others had connected with our story.
Then I was back home to get those grant apps in!

Fast forward to October 22 and the opening of the St. John’s International Women’s Film Festival.  This is always been my favorite festival to attend as a filmmaker because so much is on offer.  Whether you have a film in the festival or not, you can buy a pass and take part, not only in some of the best films made by women, but some of the top-tier expertise that the WFF brings in year after year.  I have always taken in as many of the film forums as I can.  It can make for very long days but it’s so worthwile.  The festival also brings in filmmakers (in addition to those who come on their own dime) and the connections that you can make with others who are sailing the same boat (albeit in a different direction) as you are is a comfort and, sometimes, a career changing experience.  I met my cinematographer because Ashley McKenzie had come to the SJIWFF to show her film the same year as Stephanie Weber Biron.  They hit it off and have been working together ever since.  I also met Ashley at that fest but it was at the next one that we spent more time together and, ultimately she introduced me to Stephanie, the perfect DOP for my current film and…that’s how festivals breed success.  This year, the St. John’s festival opened with The Grand Seduction, produced by Barbara Doran, one of NL’s most enduring and creative producers.  The film was shot mostly in New Bonaventure, Trinity Bay, where my sweetheart Des and I share a summer house.  So besides watching the filming, I also worked a few weeks on it (mostly prep but also a few days during shooting) when they were a bit short of hands and had just a little inside knowledge going into the premiere.  I also knew most of the actors so that made it all the more interesting.  I had loved the original French version of the film and was curious to see how it would work here.  So we went off to the opening.  

(Opening night at SJIWFF by Malin Enstrom.  Just down from centre, I can see my spot being saved for me by my sweetie.)

After the wonderful VIP reception and red carpet festivities, the sold out audience assembled.  And it was truly sold out, there may have been a seat or two empty (maybe their babysitters snuck in instead!) but that was it.  From the opening scene, the crowd laughed their way through this thoroughly entertaining film.  The pacing of the film was excellent and the performances were great. “Not a cringeworthy moment,” someone said and they were right.  For us who work in this industry, it’s precious when that happens and we want to celebrate it. People left the theatre and moved into the after party with huge smiles on their faces, hoping for a glimpse of Mr. Pinsent.  Now we’re primed for the week ahead…stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment