Saturday 9 November 2013

Riding the Silver Wave

At the time of this writing, I’m in Halifax airport, heading back to the island (NL) after 4 days in Fredericton at the Silver Wave Film Festival.  Thanks to traveling via Aeroplan points (for $156 rather than $1600 dollars return) I got there a day early, and had to leave a day earlier than I’d hoped.  But it’s all good.

Claire Donnan & Emily Dawe in Talus & Scree         Photo Andrea Edwards
Upon arrival, while still in the airport, I knew I had a friend in SWFF volunteer (and researcher) Katrina Mulherin. Day 1 at the festival started with a capacity crowd for Gia Milani’s award winning first feature, All the Wrong Reasons.  This is a film that has made waves for this NB filmmaker and she will, no doubt, ride its success into her next major project.  Well cast and well crafted, it’s getting the kind of attention that emerging filmmakers like me strive for as we carve out our paths.  At the gala party, I was delighted to reconnect with Dawn George, a wonderfully smart NS filmmaker (Adaptation) that I’m delighted to screen with here for the second time, and her guy Brad, along with a raft of filmmakers from PEI, NS, and NB, some of whom I’m sure to be working with at some point.  Late into the night, I discovered what a hoot Cat LeBlanc could be and gained even more admiration for her stamina, dedication, and talents (both personal and professional).

At the Friday morning panel in the SW industry sessions, Gia and her producer husband Tony Whalen spoke of the myriad of challenges they faced (and met) as they made the film. The next panel of the day, I was at the speaker’s table, along with two other female filmmakers with shorts in the festival.  Britany Sparrow, (Chopsticks, NB) and Pamela Lovelace (The Long and Short of Barry Small) and I had questions posed to us by veteran interviewer Christine McLean.  She asked us about our muses, our connection to place, and the people to whom we trusted and turned to as confidants, advisors, inspirations, and friends.  I learned a fair bit about myself from my answers actually.  Thanks Christine, that’s what a good moderator can do.

The rest of Friday was filled with panels, new connections, my first ever pitch (Carol Whiteman and Jan Miller would approve), and about 20 short films.  I also did an interview on behalf of my good friend, Martine Blue.  Her film, Desperate Scribbles, that I'm in, played in the Midnight Madness screening so I was delighted to represent it for her.  The number of people who, afterwards, asked about any number of films they’ve seen at the Atlantic festivals-Infanticide, Snarbuckled and Sweet Pickle come up a lot- and now Scribbles has been added to that list, always amazes me.   It was a late night but after getting a ride home with another new friend, Pauline Cronin, I slept better than I thought.  Those films were scary.

Claire on the edge of the cliff                                Photo: Andrea Edwards

Saturday morning, on the advice of Katrina, I visited the Farmers Market and dreamed of one like it for our vendors in St. John’s.  Then it was off to the noon and 2 pm screenings of Canadian and international shorts, where I watched the films with Wendy, a friend of Des’ who lives in Fredericton and spent part of this week in NL.  Though I’d seen a couple before, most of these films were new to me.  Pretty incredible when I think of how many I’ve seen since the circuit began this fall.  I was very happy to be amongst so many great films.  Talus & Scree received another warm, emotional welcome and before I dashed out to catch my plane this afternoon, I spoke to so many people who were compelled to share their responses, and their own stories, with me.  Though I wish I were there in Fredericton at the final screenings, I’m back in Halifax airport, charging my laptop and waiting for the plane to Gander.  I’ll stay overnight with my sister-in-law Leeann before getting the final flight back to St. John’s tomorrow morning.  None of this weeks adventure would have been possible without the fine folks who helped me financially (WIFT-AT and the All Access Award, Silver Wave included) and with their time (the festival volunteers, as well as my students and colleagues in St. John’s who covered for me) and their generosity (my large family and friends, old and new).  Thanks everyone, I look forward to seeing you all again at the next one!



No comments:

Post a Comment